Dietary Tips to fight Cancer on Cancer survivor month
On the occasion of the cancer survivor month and we bring you some Hot Dietary Tips to Fight Cancer by First DNB Medical Oncologist of India.
1. Eating a diet high in fiber may help prevent colorectal cancer and other common digestive system cancers. For this you could substitute whole grain bread for multigrain bread and use brown rice instead of white rice.
2. Diets high in non starchy vegetables and eating fruits in vitamin C protect against oesophageal cancer. While eating vegetables containing caretenoids reduce the risk of lung cancer, lycopene rich fruits and vegetables lower the risk of prostate cancer.
3. Water is essential for fighting cancer as it stimulates the immune system. Also the more fiber you add to your diet, the more fluids you must drink as fiber absorbs fluids.
4. High meat diet can have a toll on your health if you have a sedentary lifestyle. By reducing the amount of meat in your diet, you can substantially cut down the risk of cancer. You can use a little bit of meat (portion size equal to your palm) to add flavour or texture to your food instead of making it the main element. Even in such cases try to avoid processed meats and opt for leaner meats like chicken, fish and turkey.
5. Even though a diet high in fat can cause cancer and cholesterol problems, some types of fat may actually protect against the same. Fats solid at room temperature are considered bad for you. The best fats are unsaturated fats which can be found in olive oil, canola oil, nut s and avocados. Also focus on omega-3 fatty acids which fight inflammation and support brain and heart health.
The writer is Dr. Meenu Walia, first DNB Medical Oncologist of India, is the Director of Max Oncology Centre at the Max Hospital, Patparganj in New Delhi.